Now Playing Tracks

Facebook

Honestly, fuck this service. It says I have 531 friends, but I know I have less than 10 real ones. I can tell. Saving the lot of them that I have no interest in getting to know for whatever reason (yeah I’m that douche bag), I’ve told everyone that I felt that I’ve wanted my birthday at one point or another. 

I know that other’s have their own shit to take care of, and depending on their situation, saying happy birthday to their meloncaly “friend” isn’t the first thing on their mind. For argument’s sake, I know how many people would have said happy birthday to me if they got the chance.

Ten. Just ten.

Granted three of them are my parents and sister, but seriously? Rough rounding puts that at a 2% of my Facebook friends would have said happy birthday to me. I can honestly say that none of the rest of that 98% would have unless they heard if from somewhere else, and they would only do it out of the social pressure of being cool. But I digress.

Today was probably the worst day of my life, and while I know I’m being a crybaby about it I can say this. The VAST majority of my 531 “friends” wouldn’t give a rats ass even if they knew. Those people are NOT friends, at least not to me. My friends are people who sincerely care about me and will take the time out of their day to give a damn about me.

It’s not just a one way street obviously. I care about them a lot too. I was reminded today of what a true friend really is. I was questioned early this week about who my best friend was. I hate to say that I had to think about it. Part of it is that why we became friends was through video games, and neither of us play games anymore, but also that we have both changed a lot since we last really hung out. The last time we hung out, we actually had a huge argument. Despite this, something in my heart told me to put “Daniel McKinney” in that section. I did it, but at the time, I wasn’t sure why. We haven’t really talked all that much and I felt like I was losing him as a friend. 

But today, on my birthday, we talked. Not just because it was my birthday, but because he genuinely cared about me. Dan if you ever read this, I’m sorry for ever doubting the bond that we share. You are and will always be my best friend. 

We make Tumblr themes